Young and Vegetarian
a food blog

Flaxseed Banana Bread

Written By Sonal on Wednesday, June 1, 2016 | 1:37 PM


I make banana bread pretty often at home because my mom really enjoys it. Plus, she takes things I bake to her office and tells people that she made it! I would be angrier but it's also my mother so I cut her some slack. This banana bread specifically is a recipe from Food.com. I chose it as an attempt to bake a little healthier, so there's some flax seed meal in there for fiber and oil instead of butter. And you know what? This bread is still really moist and has a wonderful texture.

There are just two simple modifications I made to the recipe, which is the addition of cinnamon and vanilla. Vanilla tastes good in almost anything, so I recommend throwing it in with any baked treats you make.

3       ripe medium bananas
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4    cup flaxseed meal
3/4    cup sugar
1       teaspoon baking powder
1/2    teaspoon baking soda
1       teaspoon cinnamon
1       teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4    teaspoon salt
2       eggs
1/3    cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350°F. 

Mash bananas in a large bowl. Add all other ingredients, but beat the eggs in the bowl before mixing all ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Pour into greased bread pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes. 



 

I usually bake for only 55 minutes so the bread stays nice and soft. It's good for up to a week or two in an airtight container. Enjoy!

UPDATE: I have found a recipe that blew my mind even more than this original one which is linked here. The most important things I learned from this is that it actually does make a different to cream the butter and sugar first and add dry ingredients to that. Importantly, mix in the flour only until incorporated and no more than that. I think that is one of the biggest sources of the moistness I got from this recipe!
SHARE

About Sonal

0 comments :

Post a Comment