Young and Vegetarian
a food blog

Baked Samosas

Written By Sonal on Friday, June 10, 2016 | 4:43 PM


Every time I come home, my mom asks me to make these samosas because they're super yum on a Friday evening with chai and a good movie. I didn't get her anything for Mother's Day because I was busy with finals and graduation things (I know, bad daughter), so I thought she'd love to be surprised with them today. And in fact, she was! Samosas are a common snack food in India, with lots of variations all over the world. Usually they're fried, so not so good for you. These are baked, so definitely healthier than your typical deep-fried samosas. The crust still gets nice and crispy and you don't feel as bad about eating one after another! My movie of choice today is Princess Diaries 2... Chris Pine 5ever <3


Again, I'm eyeballing with these measurements. Taste along the way and be active and flexible!

This recipe made 14 samosas.
Crust
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
Water

Filling
2 medium potatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped

Preheat oven to 400 C. 

To make the crust, first add the oil and salt to the flour in a large bowl and work it in. Add water, very little at a time, until the dough comes together. Knead until smooth. Then cover with a wet paper towel until ready to use. 



To make the filling, boil potatoes in water until soft. Peel and mash. Add all spices and chopped cilantro. Taste to make sure the spice and salt is where you want. Done!


Roll out small sections of dough, about the size of a tablespoon, to a 5-6 inch diameter circle. Make sure it is a thin layer. Cut in half. Put water along the straight edge and loop it around (like an ice cream cone) to make a cone. Seal the side edge and bottom tip. Add potato filling (pack it in!) and seal at the top with water. 



Brush olive oil on top and stick in the oven for... 15 minutes? 20 minutes? Until they're browned basically!

And that's it! A lot simpler than you would think. This was the first time I made it all on my own without my mom's help, so it felt like an accomplishment! I was afraid 2 potatoes would be too much, but my family GLADLY could've eaten more. Father's Day is coming up y'all -- dads will LOVE this!
 


SHARE

About Sonal

0 comments :

Post a Comment