Young and Vegetarian
a food blog

Huevos Rancheros

Written By Sonal on Thursday, June 9, 2016 | 12:59 PM


I woke up this morning and wanted to put together something delicious with the ingredients we had lying around the kitchen. I found some salsa and queso my mom just bought, and was inspired to do huevos rancheros, except with fresh salsa! There was a recipe by Emeril Lagasse that I based it on. The more I cook, the more I recognize the flexibility of recipes. I mean, yes, I obviously knew you can be creative with dishes the way they are on Food Network, but it always seemed more difficult than it actually is. For these huevos rancheros, I used kidney beans instead of refried/black beans and replaced the chicken/vegetable broth in the salsa with water and just added more spices.

I'm also super excited because my mom said we could buy some herb plants to grow in the backyard, so I'm going to get basil, mint, thyme and chives. My food is going to be soooo fresh and delicious with those.

This recipe is for two servings with some extra salsa.
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
1 cup water
1 can red kidney beans
4 eggs
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
2 whole-wheat tortillas
1/4 cup cilantro, for garnish

In a medium pot, saute diced onions and green peppers until browned. Add cumin, red chili powder, italian seasoning, salt, garlic, jalapeno and tomatoes. Cook the tomatoes down for a few minutes and then add the water. Taste it, add more seasoning if you want. Let it simmer on low heat for 15 minutes until most of the water is cooked off and the salsa is thick.




Scramble eggs in a separate pan with salt and pepper. Grate cheese over cooked eggs.


Toast tortillas in oil in a pan very lightly. Heat beans in a pan until warm. 


Put the tortilla on a plate and place beans on top. Then add eggs and salsa on top. Garnish with cilantro.


It tasted SO GOOD! I'm glad I used fresh salsa instead of store-bought because it tasted noticeably fresher and I knew exactly what went into it. Even without a broth/stock there was a lot of seasoning and flavor, and it's something you can control directly. The eggs were stringy with cheese so it just kind of melted in my mouth. It was really hearty and moist. The only change I would've made would've been to make the salsa a bit spicier, because I ended up adding sriracha on top. Yum! 
SHARE

About Sonal

0 comments :

Post a Comment