Young and Vegetarian
a food blog

Green Chili Fried Rice

Written By Sonal on Wednesday, June 1, 2016 | 9:51 PM

All right, so this isn't so much a recipe as much as just something I threw together for dinner, but it's a food blog so that means I can still write about it right? It tasted pretty good so you could probably try it too, ya know. 

I was really hungry because I had hardly eaten all day and even though we had food in the house, it felt like we didn't have anything. You know that moment when you walk to the pantry to the refrigerator and back three times because nothing looks appealing? Well my mom had some rice leftover so I put it with some veggies and sauce and called it a dinner. Not bad at all, I'd say.. perfect leftover meal. It's kind of a mix of Indian and Chinese cooking because I didn't have tofu so used some paneer (cheese commonly used in Indian cooking) from the fridge instead. Fried rice is so easy -- whatever sauces and vegetables you have around, just toss them together and add rice. SO EASY.

1    cup cubed paneer (or firm tofu)
12  baby carrots, sliced
1    cup broccoli, chopped
1/2 onion, sliced (I didn't use it here, but that's just because we ran out)
1/2 red pepper, sliced (^ditto)
1    egg
1    cup rice (choose your favorite, you do you)
2    tablespoons soy sauce
2    tablespoons green chili sauce

Just a heads up that these measurements are totally guesstimated, because I didn't measure anything. Really just add as much as makes sense with the amount of rice you are making.

Coat paneer or tofu with oil, salt, pepper and cayenne to taste. Pan fry until golden brown. 


Put oil in a pan to saute all the vegetables. If you're cooking with onions, make sure to add those first. Saute vegetables until a little browned, and then add paneer/tofu, rice, soy sauce, green chili sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Scrambled eggs are also classic in Chinese fried rice recipes, so that's always good too. Mushrooms are also great to use, as well as bok choy or Napa cabbage.



At the end, I fried an egg to put on top because I like runny yolk, but as I said, scrambled eggs are yum too. Gotta get that protein, ya know.


Yuuuum, enjoy. I made this, my mom made me a glass of mango lassi and I celebrated the three cultures I relate to most as I watched Zootopia while I ate: Chinese, Indian and Disney. 
SHARE

About Sonal

0 comments :

Post a Comment