Young and Vegetarian
a food blog
Home » , , , , , » Baby Portabello, Spinach and Herb Pesto Tart

Baby Portabello, Spinach and Herb Pesto Tart

Written By Sonal on Sunday, June 26, 2016 | 8:35 PM

My mom had some friends over tonight and asked me to put together dinner for them. She's really taking advantage of this me being home thing, but I don't even mind! Cooking gives me something creative to do, with my hands, and keeps me active at the least. There were a few things I made: a mango salsa to go with simple quesadillas that she for some reason loves (sauteed onions, peppers, spinach and mushrooms with pepper jack/cheddar cheese), a peach-apple cobbler and this puff pastry tart. The cobbler I took from a recipe I found online and was too rushed to take photos, but it turned out really great! If I make it again, I'll make sure to document it.
This tart was an idea I've had for a while, not sure exactly where it came from, but I've been waiting for a good occasion and inspiration to make it. I wasn't sure what was going to go on it exactly, but just picked and chose these ingredients from the pantry. Onions were going to go on it at one point until I realized I put onions in literally everything else so I should balance that out. I can't believe I haven't used puff pastry before because it is so crispy, flaky and delicious for desserts and apps like this. Goat cheese is the perfect finisher, because it adds a creamy texture to every bite. The tomato was partly for color, but also added a nice freshness to a very hearty tart. My herb pesto ended up being more of a paste than a pesto because of some blender issues, but it was still really aromatic and fresh. So let's get to it!

Also something is wrong with our camera so sorry I don't have beautiful, good quality photos :(

Herb pesto
1/2 cup basil leaves
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup cilantro
Salt and pepper, to taste
Olive oil (until forms a smooth sauce-like texture)

Basically, mix everything in the blender until it tastes good heh.

Tart
1 puff pastry sheet
3/4 cup baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tomato, cubed
1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
1/2 tablespoon thyme leaves
2 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
1 egg + 1 tablespoon water (egg wash)
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese (to sprinkle on crust)

Allow puff pastry sheet to thaw for at least 40 minutes. Roll out in one direction to form a rectangle that fits your baking pan. Lightly trace a 1 inch border around the outside with a knife. Preheat oven to 375 C. 


Saute mushrooms in a skillet with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add thyme once the mushrooms soften. 


Brush puff pastry with egg wash lightly. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the outside border. Spread pesto in the center of the tart. Scatter mushrooms, spinach and tomatoes across the top. Bake for about 25 minutes. 


Crumble goat cheese on top. Yum!

SHARE

About Sonal

0 comments :

Post a Comment