Young and Vegetarian
a food blog
Home » , , » Singaporean Foodventures!

Singaporean Foodventures!

Written By Sonal on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 | 8:52 PM

Hi y'all! I apologize for being gone for so long. There's really no excuse because I should've posted this right after I got back from Singapore and it has been about a month since then, heh. I have been cooking since then at home, but have just forgotten to take photos. Don't worry, there will be more. It's been kind of crazy with my job training and med school interviews going on, but once I get my iPhone 7 next week, I can take 12 MP photos of my food... hehe.

You can read more about my trip when I write about it on my personal blog here at some point soon. But here I want to talk about the new foods I tried in Singapore, all vegetarian, but still delicious! Yes, Asia is not the friendliest place for vegetarians, but there are still incredible things to try when you're there!

1. Roti Prata: As I understand it, it's similar to an Indian paratha, but a Singaporean version that is much fluffier, crispier and with very diverse fillings and toppings. I had a few different types in different places with cheese and onions and things. They was just really interesting and so yummm. I'll try it at home one day and let you know how it goes!



2. Bandung: A drink made from rose syrup and condensed milk that I've read is common in Singapore and Malaysia. In the one I had they also added some soda water which was quite nice. In India we actually have a rose syrup called Rooh Afza that we put into milk, kind of like a version of strawberry milk, but waaay better tasting. I expected this to taste kind of like that, but it had a richer flavor because of the condensed milk and was pleasantly sweet. It's a must-have on my list!

3. Milo Dinosaur: I saw this on the menu and laughed to myself at first that there was a drink called a dinosaur and ordered it just for fun because the manager said it was popular. But when it came, the name became clear! It's a drink of Milo chocolate malt powder and milk with a huuuge spoonful of Milo powder on top. I seriously felt like I was drinking liquid chocolate and it was incredible, all my dreams come true. I don't know how many calories I consumed drinking this, but it was all worth it. Just to warn you though, it'll keep you full for a whole day! Or maybe I just have a small appetite...


4. Salted egg yolk croissant: This isn't the best picture, but this was delicious. Salted egg yolk desserts are pretty common in China and Singapore too I suppose. While I expected it originally to be savory, it was fairly sweet and had a wonderful creamy texture inside. It was such a nice balance with the crispiness of the croissant. This one specifically was from the bakery at Toast Box. Also highly recommend!



Image result for kaya toast5. Kaya toast: This is a borrowed photo from Google, but basically Kaya toast is famous in Singapore as a breakfast food. They put thick slabs of butter on thin, crispy toast with kaya, which is a jam made from coconut and eggs as I understand it. I can understand the appeal of it, but I think it is a bit of an acquired taste because I couldn't eat too much. It was a very rich with a very strong coconut flavor, which I'm generally not a fan of anyway. Still, on the list of coconut flavored things I've had, it's toward the top!



Image result for pandan chiffon cake




6. Pandan chiffon cake: OH MY GOD. I had this just hours before I had to go to the airport and thank goodness I did because it was soo delicious. This picture is borrowed from Google because I was too excited to take a photo. Pandan is a plant used in Southeast Asia for flavoring. The bright green color makes you feel like the flavor is going to explode in your mouth, but the pandan flavor is so smooth and somehow balanced between fruity and flowery. Just incredible. DO NOT leave Singapore without having this, otherwise you have missed out. I wish they had them here...



Image result for mangosteen
7. Mangosteen: I didn't have it the last time I was in China, so I was happy I got to try it in Singapore this time. It was quite good, very sweet, but there was so little meat inside each one! I had to eat 5 or 6 just to feel satisfied haha. Yummy tropical fruits! I'll put it right below dragonfruit and lychee but waaaay above durian. >.>










Other things I ate:
Kung bao tofu
Yam-filled bun




















Himalayan pink salt croissant

Traveling through Singapore by myself was really nice, but I do wish I had some direction on where to find good vegetarian food. I'm sure there was lots more for me to try! Hopefully this can be a mini guide for people visiting Southeast Asia. Food brings people together, always remember that :D
SHARE

About Sonal

0 comments :

Post a Comment